Avis has offset more than 178,772 tonnes of CO2 since 1997 – that is equivalent to the average greenhouse gas emissions produced by 31,800 cars a year.
In the Workplace
We’ve taken a look at how our offices can be more environmentally friendly and have introduced ways to make it easier for our staff to do their bit. Our efforts to improve environmental performance include:
- Conducting an internal CO2 emissions reduction program which includes energy audits; installing lower electricity consumption technology; installing motion senses into lighting and appointing a “Green Champions” recycling scheme
- Using recycled paper and where possible we have gone totally paperless
- Recycling all paper, plastic and cans– we don’t give our staff waste bins to encourage them to recycle instead
- Using e-learning and video-conferencing to reduce travel - seven countries now participate, with a resulting 25% reduction in European travel
- Encouraging car-sharing at our European HQ by allocating priority parking spaces in our car park, reserved for staff who travel together
And on World Environment Day 2009 we went all out – we all dressed in green and donated £1 to charity, held an environment quiz with great prizes on offer and we all brought in our own mugs for free coffee and cookies. We have big plans for the future too!